Beginning on January 1, 2018, New York State will allow employees of private companies to be eligible for paid family leave without fear of losing your job or health insurance. This paid time off can allow an employee to spend time with their newborn baby or newly adopted child, to care for a relative who is suffering a serious health condition, or assist a loved one if a family member is deployed as an active duty member of the military.
How do I know if I am eligible?
In order to determine whether you are eligible to participate in the Paid Family Leave program, they must meet the following criteria:
- If you are a full-time employee that works 20 or more hours a week, you can become eligible for Paid Family Leave after 26 weeks of consecutive employment
- If you are a part-time employee that works less than 20 hours a week, you can become eligible for Paid Family Leave after 175 work days. It is important to note that these days do not need to be consecutive
Other important information
- Paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child only begins after the birth or adoption
- A serious health condition includes physical or mental conditions that require inpatient care or continuing treatment
- You can take Paid Family Leave if your spouse, partner, child, or parent is deployed or has been informed that they will be deployed soon
If you are in need of experienced and dedicated legal counsel, please contact The Penichet Firm today and we will be happy to assist you in all of your divorce, family, and criminal law matters.