In Governor Cuomo’s 2018 State of the State Address this week, it was announced that there will be an overhaul of the criminal justice system in New York State. The goal of this reform is primarily to reshape many aspects of the system that currently favor those of a higher socioeconomic class. The new legislation aims to provide equality in the criminal justice system to individuals. Many different parts of the criminal justice system will be modified. Some of these changes include:
- the elimination of monetary bail for individuals who are faced with misdemeanor and non-violent felony charges
- an expansion of the discovery process that will require a disclosure of information in a timely manner such as:
- expert opinion evidence
- witnesses’ criminal history
- search warrant information
- evidence and information favorable to the defense
- making sure that individuals facing charges and their attorneys consent to a speedy trial waiver
- this will make sure that defendants aren’t held simply because the prosecution didn’t meet a deadline
- prohibition of all asset seizures unless an arrest is made
- make improvements to the process of reintegrating individuals into their communities after they are incarcerated
- some financial burdens will be removed after incarceration has ended
If you are arrested in New York State, contact our firm today for strong legal representation that will fight to protect your future.
If you are in need of experienced and dedicated legal counsel, please contact The Penichet Firm today and we will be happy to assist you in all of your divorce, family, and criminal law matters.