When you have a family law matter such as child support, child custody, spousal maintenance, or more, you hope that the other party abides by the court’s decision. However, when the other side doesn’t abide by what the court orders, you may have to request that the court orders that party to cooperate.

When a court order is violated, you can request the court to enforce it. In order to request enforcement, you will have to file a violation petition in family court. In the event that the defendant cannot come up with a legitimate reason as to why they have been violating the order, they may face serious consequences. One of the most common situations that requires a court order is when the noncustodial parent fails to make child support payments. If this is the case, the court may determine that it is necessary to employ the assistance of the Support Collection Unit who can take the measures necessary to collect the payments. If this happens, the Support Collection Unit can garnish wages, require a lump sum of back pay, or even issue a warrant for that offender’s arrest.

If you have an issue in which the other party fails to abide by a court order, it is important that you consult with an experienced divorce and family law attorney who can provide you with assistance.

If you are in need of experienced and dedicated legal counsel, please contact The Penichet Firm and we will be happy to assist you in your family or criminal law matters.